11 Tips Encourage Happy Pets, Happy Travels
Common sense tips that keep your pet happy and healthy and make your trip more enjoyable. [cliff notes]
Practice is key. The more you go with your pets and gradually increase time in the car, the better you will all become comfortable traveling together.
1. Keep pets comfortable in a travel crate.
They feel safer. And they are safer from unexpected jolts.
2. Don’t fill your pet’s crate with toys.
They need to move around!
3. Make sure you have all the correct paperwork.
If driving or flying, many places require up to date health certificatations signed by a vet.
4. Make it easier to find your pet if they get lost.
Microchips and collar tags with your phone numbers are essential to be able to recover a lost pet.
5. Skip a meal on travel days.
Sometimes stress and motion sickness will cause your dog to have diarriah. You can mitigate unpleasantness by skipping the last meal before traveling.
6. Keep your pet hydrated.
Stop regularly to give your pets a chance to drink.
7. Keep them occupied with a toy.
You can offer just one puzzle toy can keep them busy for hours.
8. Never leave your pet in a car alone.
Both the risk of death due to high temperatures and dognapping can be devastating to you. Just avoid it no matter how you are inconvenienced.
9. Choose pet-friendly accommodations.
Make sure your accomodations accept pets or you risk being turned away.
10. Make your travel destination feel like home.
Reduce anxiety by packing your pet’s bowl, blanket, bed, toy and food can make wherever you stay feel like home.
11. Know when it’s best to leave your pet at home.
Some vacation are better without your pet. If your activities exclude pets, such as museums, amusement parks or restaurants, finding a great pet sitter will be a blessing for you and your pet.